Tuesday, May 20, 2008

PLUS SIZE???? What the....

Today I am going to rant about one of my favorite shows, America's Next Top Model. I have really enjoyed watching this seasons episodes. However, I grew more and more outraged by a label they kept using to describe one of my favorite models, Whitney. They called her "PLUS SIZE". You may be saying what is wrong with that. Perhaps you should not have asked because here I go: Whitney is a size ten. Yes that's right, a size TEN. When did that become plus size? I guess in a modeling world where girls starve themselves to look more like 12 year old little boys- that would be considered plus size. I am outraged. This "full figured" girl, who by the way did end up winning, was stunningly beautiful and modeled clothes that looked fit and tailored instead of just draped over a body of bones. I have two daughters that also like to watch the show. I take every opportunity to let them know that most of the girls are not taking care of their bodies, and that men like women who have at least a little bit of meat on their bones!! :) Wow for a first post this was quite serious- especially for me. Stay tuned for more great rants and ravings in the near future!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I completely concur--12 is plus size! haha j/k. Glad you are finally joining the ranting world! Can't wait to see what else you go on and on about....

Unknown said...

I had heard so many great things about you and then saw you at regionals in Oakland, California and your presentation was awesome. I was so pleased to find the link to your blog from Shannon's! I have been checking it every day and was thrilled to see your post today. As a size 14 woman, I can only say: "You rock, baby!" Thanks for making this girl's day!

Unknown said...

Hey Jaron-I'm Jen, Lisa's roommate-anyway as an avid ANTM watcher via the MTV marathon's, I completely agree that Whitney was amazing and I'm so glad that she won! Seriously, a size 8-10 can hardly be considered plus size. But good for her for breaking the mold!

Tonya Klar said...

You go, Jaren!!